Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 4


Day 4-I have tried so many new things since I got to Belize. I have tried snapper, grouper, plantain chips, mangos, and new kiwis. I love all of them! I was so surprised by myself. I never try new things so it was a great experience. We have been walking soo much which is great. I enjoy walking and I am getting the feeling of being like the locals. Everyday is a new experience. Yesterday we went to Legends which is acroos the bridge on another island. We walked there near dusk and it was a little scry but we had a flashlight. I would definately travel with a bunch of people. We had a blast once we got there. It was a 30 minute walk... haha. I We all got to dance and raise money for a 16 year old guitar player to go to Boston to play. It is a great feeling to help people out. The most surprising thing that I have seen are the children that are out selling necklaces all day and night. It makes me feel terrible. They will walk up to you anywhere, whether you are eating or sitting by the beach and boy are they good salesmen. Today we went to a BBQ to raise money for the High School. It was delicious. I have found that I am loving the food more and more the longer I am here.. and I am picky usually. After that we went to go find the guy that we met yesterday with a boat to go snorkeling. We met his whole family and he offered to take us snorkeling and fishing for 15 dollars. WOW. I was shocked! So we will go tomorrow. We are all going to pitch in and pay for the 2 High School teachers who walked with us all day today. I am so excited.
Yesterday I met my teacher and I was in shock. She seemed really young but, I am excited to get to know her better! I think she has some great ideas for me to learn from. I am teaching Reading on Monday which is crazy! I can't wait to get into the schools and get to know the students. I met them breifly on Friday morning but I couldn't really talk to them. 6 of us stood in front of the whole school for an assembly while all the students stared at us. I knew exactly how it feels to be a minority because we are. We stand out so bad in Belize especially if we go in a group of 19. haha. I am loving the weather but the breeze is the only thing saving me right now. I have gotten burnt everyday even though I am using sunscreen.. I guess I need a stronger one.
On day 1 and 3 my room had no hot water. The water was so cold that it took my breath away. Today we have no water at all. haha. I am a shower person so it is hard for me to adjust but I have a super roommate who keeps me positive. She said " You will want a cold shower after you have been outside all day in the heat." I am working on that positive attitude! lol. I would recommend coming here to everyone. It is a completely different world than back home but it is so laid back and relaxing. Belizean time and my time are so different that it is hard to get used to. As an American I am used to time schedules and being prompt. Here in Belize it is a round-about time. You just go at your own pace. I love it here! Everyone is soo nice and helpful; they would do anything for us which is a great feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Brianna - your comments on this blog and Facebook and the pictures you've posted are so vivid that I feel as if we're there with you! Your writing is so close to the way that you talk, interspersed with some reflections, that it's almost as if we don't need our daily cell phone chats. I do think that you might want to let me come and visit! I could take it as a tax deduction - professional growth! You are, as always, quite amazing, and we're delighted that you're experiencing this learning opportunity and that you're sharing it with us. Lots of love, Mom

    ReplyDelete