Wednesday, March 24, 2010





This is my classroom. I have 12 students at Isla Bonita Elementary School. I am in the Infant 1 classroom which is equivalent to Kindergarten in the United States, except that they don't have preschool here. I love my students! The teaching is a lot different from America though. My students don't know the letters of the alphabet they only know the sounds. In America we teach both so I thought that was interesting. Also, the students work mainly out of 12 workbooks that they have to take home everyday. It hurts me to see these 5 and 6 year olds trying to carry all those books home. One thing that surprised me was the reaction that I got when I put my students into a cirlce on the ground to read to them. They all looked at me like I was crazy and they didn't know how to form a circle so everyone could see. The books that they use are very old and out-dated as well. I am very interested to learn more about their education programs. I have a student who is blind in one eye and mostly blind in the other. I want to see what kind of modifications they do for her but I have a feeling that it is not much judging by my first week here.

1 comment:

  1. Just think of the difference that YOU can make in even this one child's life!

    ReplyDelete