Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Belizean Culture

















I have noticed alot of things that are similar and different in Belizean culture and in the United States. I have lost all sense of time since I arrived on the island. There are no watches or clocks anywhere. I have realized that I rush around at home way too much and that I need to just relax sometimes. Yet, I have enjoyed eating only when I am hungry, getting somewhere within the hour or so of telling a person. The only problem is that you lose track of the days and things don't get done as quickly as you would like. If someone says meet me at 6... it probably means be there around 7 or 7:30. I think it is crazy how different time management is here. I have also noticed that there is a lack of discipline in the classrooms. The students call out all day without raising their hands or listening when the teacher is talking. I have put some rules in place in my classroom but I am judged as mean. I just feel like no learning is taking place if the students can not hear me. I know it is their culture and that it is alright to act that way. I don't want to step on toes but if I am teaching and my students are saying "teacher, I can't concentrate because of all the noise," I will fix that right away. It's not fair to the students who actually want to learn. Another thing that I thought was ironic this week was teaching Science and teaching Social Studies. I am teaching about land and sea this week. I had to teach them the story of creation... umm don't science and religion conflict? It took me awhile to figure out a plan of action for teaching that lesson. haha. The interconnectedness of religion and school amazes me. I love that the students sing their national anthem every morning and the lord's prayer. My biggest problem here is the lack of supplies for the classrooms. The teachers don't get paid much but are expected to buy all the supplies for the students. We have a copier but it is ancient. It is hard to teach or get activities when I don't have a printer or a copier. Everything that we do takes more time and effort to create. What I have realized though, is that my student's like copying in their notebooks and doing book work. I think it is so funny when my students say "Teacher, teacher, we are tired. Can we write now?" I would never hear that at home. I just want to do what is best for my students. It would just make it more fun and exciting if we had the resources that we have back home. Although it is different from what I am used to, I think that this place is amazing and could picture myself teaching here or another foreign country. I love this island and will never forget what I have learned from my teachers and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment