Friday, April 30, 2010

The Whole Trip











The whole trip was so amazing. I can not put into words how much I learned and how I have grown. I feel like a completely new person and teacher. I was immersed in this unfamilar culture that I became so fond of. I love that they have such a great sense of community and help one another out as much as possible. It is a small island where everyone knows everyone and they were so appreciative to have us there. It reminded me a little bit of home because I come from a small town. We were celebrities to the children and to most of the adults. We met so many great freinds both Belizean and from other countries including the United States. Staying at Pedro's was awesome because we had people coming in and out from so many different countries because it is a hostel as well. I was so sad to leave because of all the wonderful people that I met. I don't know how I will keep in touch with these people but I know that will not be my last trip to Belize. This trip has made me realize that I want to teach abroad or go to Grad School somewhere interesting. I think it has just opened my mind to the possibilities and needs out there. I am so excited to be graduating but scared of what that holds for my future. This was the last trip that I will have before I have to grow up and get a big girl job. Wow! What a wonderful ending to my college career. Something that has changed me forever. You can't put a price tag on that. Yes, it did cost a lot of money but in the end... college is expensive but I think that this was more real than anything I have done in my college career. Well, that and student teaching! It just opens your eyes to more opportunities and different teaching styles as well as learning styles. I believe I have become a better teacher because of this experience! I think everyone should study or teach abroad and just see what else is out there. Thanks for this opportunity Mom, Dad, and UNC-W!

No comments:

Post a Comment