Wednesday, April 21, 2010

San Pedro Vs. San Ignacio
















I have been both to San Pedro and San Ignacio now. I think that they are both very interesting places that I love but, I didn't teach in San Ignacio. If I had to choose where I would like to work based on what I observed, I would say San Pedro. There is less poverty here than in San Ignacio. Many houses there had no electricity in their houses at all. It would be a different experience completely. It is much cheaper to live inland but that is because San Pedro is an island and everything has to be imported. I have talked to several parents who move from Belize city to San Pedro because they make twice the money doing the same thing that they would be doing inland. The problem with that is that everything here is more expensive to buy. Many parents have the grandparents take care of their children inland for a couple years while they make money here in San Pedro. Which I find strange because I don't think I could leave my child but it is very common here. I have learned a lot more about San Pedro than San Ignacio because we have been here longer. I love this island and think that it would be amazing to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment