Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Inland


















It was such a relief for us to get out of San Pedro. I love it here but there are so many girls staying with us that we needed to get some alone time. The water taxi soothed my nerves and gave me time to be alone with my IPod and the beautiful water. I usually can get away from my roommates by going in my room. Here it is a completely different story. We are in dorm-like rooms with no privacy. I enjoy being around all these people most of the time because it is fun and we are busy all the time. When we got to Belize City we took a cab to the bus company. We rode on the crowded bus to the Belize zoo. We saw all sorts of different animals. My favorite was the Tapir; which is their national animal. After the zoo we went to San Ignacio, Belize. When we arrived I was shocked at the resort we were staying in, it was amazing!!! The pool was awesome and our rooms were huge. We have to thank Peter for that. We slept 4 deep in a room. Courtney, Brittany, Jessi, and I stayed in a room together with a hammock outside. We relaxed for the rest of the day except for walking up the enormous hill to the town. First thing I did when we got there was take a shower. It had great pressure and since I had not had a shower in 3 days, it was amazing. The next day we went to Tikal in Guatamala to see the most amazing Mayan Ruins. We waited 2 hours at customs just to get into Guatamala. Tikal was beautiful! There was so much to see with all the different ruins. We walked around the area to see 4 different ruins. We couldn't see all of them so we just looked at the ones that were unique. The tallest one had stairs for us to climb to the top. We were above all the trees and could see for miles. After the trip we had lunch and decided to go ziplining. Half of us went while the others shopped. We thought it was awesome and had a blast flying through the forest. We realized half way through that it was a little unsafe... but it was well worth the money. They definitely wouldn't have that in America.. It would have more rules and precautions. I mean we did "the superman" and went face first through the forest while they jerked the line up and down. That was the perfect ending to an incredible day.

1 comment:

  1. OMG - The SUPERMAN! Glad I didn't see that! What an amazing and incredibly unique experience you are having. I can't begin to imagine the extreme value of all of this for your future students. I hope that this experience will help your future colleagues and students realize that they too can go beyond themselves and the United States for more global opportunities.

    ReplyDelete