Saturday, April 3, 2010



Day 16- We really take things for granted in America. We have been without water for 3 days now and it is just normal to ration water. That would not go over well in the United States. We have a lot of privileges that the people here don't. We have water and electricity almost all the time in America. Here it is normal for the power to go out or having no water; hot or cold. It is an experience here. It made us all realize what we do have at home. I am missing having a kitchen and American food. There is a variety here but the prices are astronomical if you want some Italian food or anything other than Belizian food.

This week all of the spring break kids are here on vacation and you can see the difference. I understand now why most people have a bad idea about Americans. We act like we own the world. The prices here have gone up for all the tourists. We met some 17 year old boys who gave us a ride on their golf carts from the bridge to The Tackle Box. They were from Winston-Salem which is close to Boone, where I am from. We paid to get into The Tackle Box because we heard American music playing. As soon as we got in there they changed it to a band that sang in Spanish. Don't get me wrong, I love the bands here but every once in awhile it is nice to hear radio music. I miss listening to my ipod in my car everyday. Another thing that is nice but weird is not driving and just walking everywhere. We don't realize the luxury we have in America. It's the little things that I miss. I mean it has only been a little over 2 weeks and I miss things like that.

1 comment:

  1. It's an important part of your learning to realize that we have a lot of luxury in the United States, much of which is not only unnecessary, but also even detrimental. Just think of the impact on the environment if people here would only drive their cars when going over a mile. WOW!

    It thrills me to see that you're appreciating how we can behave in ways that make others on this globe feel as if we're arrogant. I hope that you learn how to share this sensitivity with others! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete